Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Jackpot

There were long lines of people at the lotto booth today at Harrison Plaza, which has been my chill-out place of choice the past few years. Funny how Filipinos fancy multimillion-peso jackpot, no matter the odds are.

This reminded me of the conversation I had with a taxi driver on my way to the badminton court in Makati. We passed by yet another long queue of fortune-hunters and, immediately, the cabbie popped what has been the best -- if not most used -- of all ice-breakers: ``What would you do if you win the jackpot?''

That particular day, the 6-42 version has a P100 million purse, and we were talking primarily of winning the windfall solo.

I wasn't in the mood for that -- though it was also an all-time favorite driving conversation topic between me and Vangie -- so I threw the question back at him.

The driver, visibly delighted to suddenly get to say his piece, fixed his seat and then started his multimillion-peso plan.

``Unang una boss, magpapa check-up kaming lahat,'' he said, ``Buong pamilya, misis ko, apat na anak. Doon sa pinaka magandang ospital.''

I must admit that he managed to grab my attention with that first crack, considering that I was expecting him to say that he'd buy a new house and car like most I heard.

``Kasi paano namin ma-enjoy yung yaman namin kung merong may sakit?'' he quickly added. ``Kaya kung may konting diprensiya, naku sir, ipagagamot ko na agad.

``Ultimo ipin naming lahat, ipapagawa ko,'' he said.

Then, he said he would build four-door apartment in the piece of land his family owned. And probably go abroad and buy cars.

I asked if he doesn't want to make any investments. He said he'd put what's left of the money in time deposit. That was neat.

Then he shot back the question at me.

``Kayo po sir?''

Without much thought, I told him that after I claimed the P100 million, I will fly to Europe.

``Ganun lang po sir?

And that's where I will try to figure out what to do with my fortunes.

I would take my own sweet time deciding where to put my money, I explained to him.

I'd have coffee al fresco in bustling streets of Paris, hit the wild London party scene and visit the summer and winter palaces of the former Russian monarchs.

I already have the money, what's the point of rushing?

The cabbie was speechless but nevertheless appeared to be convinced. And as I stepped out he shot back: ``Galing nung naisip mo sir!''

2 comments:

Margaret T said...

welcome to blogger, if u haven't read it in ur email first.

Sarrah said...

nice one, kuya!